Gaming on a Budget Spare Parts Month- Ogre BSB part 1

Before we begin, don’t forget that in 2 weeks I will be highlighting your -dear readers- creations made from spare parts.  Send an e-mail with “spare parts month” in the subject line to me at [email protected]  Be sure to include some pictures of your work and a link to your own site (if you have one) and anything else you might find to be pertinent information.

Well, now that that’s out of the way, it’s time to fix a glaring hole in the WFB Ogre Kingdoms model line.  There is no battle standard bearer.  Yeah, I know, ludicrous that there’s no model for an absolutely essential addition to any army, but here we are.

To remedy this situation, I’m going to be converting one using nothing but spare parts.  Now, you’ll probably see me use a bunch of tools that may be moderately expensive and bash together parts of several not too cheap kits.  Then you’ll be all like ‘hey, what the shit happened to the budget part.’  Well it’s still there, I assure you.  As I’ve mentioned before, I don’t mind spending money on quality tools that have many uses and are built to last- this is a sound investment- and part of my “budget” approach to this is selecting essential tools that are a good value.  Now as for the kits- well, if you’re playing an army, you have to get a bunch of kits.  Being smart and figuring out how to game the system and stretch what you get in those boxes…. well that’s budget friendly.  Honestly, the only cost to me for this whole project will be $.50 worth of plastic rod and a bottle of wine that I would have drunk anyway.

To start out, you’ll need an Ironblaster/Scraplauncher kit:

This kit like many recent WFB models is full of helpful bits to pad out existing units.  Take the Screaming Bell for example.  If you assemble it as a Plague Furnace, you’ll have an extra Grey Seer and Rat Ogre to play with.  Make a Screaming Bell and you’ve got yourself some extra Plague Monks…huzzah.

With the Ironblaster, you’ll get an extra ogre or some gnoblars depending on how you make it.  Since assembling the Ironblaster is basically a terrible idea (you don’t need something to snipe monsters when all of your infantry can kill monsters just fine).  Assuming that you’re not a moron and you’re going to go for the block destroying power of the Scraplauncher, we’ll just have to figure that you’re going to get an extra ogre out of the deal.

What’s more, you’re going to get a kick ass guy who happens to have a neato gut plate, cool head options, and is standing perfectly upright with an arm that’s already in perfect position to hold a standard.

Picking out the relevant extra pieces (and the nifty vaguely Cynobite head) I was left with this:

Getting the easy stuff out of the way first, I put him on an extra base I had on hand.

Next I grabbed an arm from the Ogre Bulls boxed set.  This happens to not only come with lots of extras, but also fits any ogre torso perfectly- excellent design GW!  Seriously, no green stuff, cutting, dremeling, etc was involved in sticking this arm on.  There was only glue.

Now it’s just a matter of giving him a weapon, then gluing on the head and gut plate and we’re ready to set this guy aside for the time being.

On to the more difficult part (the part that will take me another whole article to complete), I’ll be turning to the Stonehorn/Thundertusk model to fashion a standard befitting of the grandiosity I require for my ogre characters.

Since I’m going to be assembling this guy as a Thundertusk later, I won’t be needing the saddle that goes on the Stonehorn.  Did I mention that this saddle is totally kick ass and has a wicked hugemongous jaw theme to it?  Cuz’ it totally does.

Searching through the sprues for the extra bits got me these pieces:

Using a jewelers saw and mitre box (a must have if you like cutting straight), I took off the saddle portion of these pieces, leaving only the jaw bones.

With both pieces cut, they should look like this:

For the final product, I’m wanting the teeth to face downward, so while cleaning up mold lines and excess plastic left by the saw, I cut off all of the bear traps, skulls, and whatever the hell else was hanging down.  Had I not been doing this, my “hanging up” accoutrements would have broken several laws of physics.

A dab of glue and I had this:

I’m not worried about the slight visible line in the middle.  It’ll diminish when the glue dries and finishes fusing the plastic and I’m putting something over that part anyway.

Tune in next week when I finish this project.  Among other things, you’ll learn how to turn a drinking problem into a budget win.

Don’t forget to mail me pictures of your favorite spare parts projects.

You may also like...