Gaming on a Budget: Spare Parts Month- Ogre BSB part 3, “Conclusion” hyphen semi-colon dot dot dot or is it question mark

As we enter the second month of spare parts month don’t forget that next week I will be highlighting your -dear readers- creations made from spare parts.  Send an e-mail with “spare parts month” in the subject line to me at [email protected]  Be sure to include some pictures of your work and a link to your own site (if you have one) and anything else you might find to be pertinent information.  The pimping you will receive should provide good times and I’m told that my gracious backhand doesn’t even leave behind ring marks- how kind am I?

For those of you who have not been following along the last two weeks and were all like ‘Ogres, fuck that, I don’t give a shit about Ogres’ you can get caught up on the previous posts:

Part 1

Part 2

I’d highly encourage you to do so, since I’m going over some pretty basic and universal techniques for finding spare parts to make extra dudes for your army for next to nothing.  The model I’m finishing up today will weigh in at 138 points of my 2,500 point army and cost me basically nothing to make.  He’s the leftover gunner from an Ironblaster kit- which you’d know if you were paying attention and would know that I mistakenly called a Thunderfire canon last week if you’d really been paying attention :p

After review of the model in mid progress, I decided to focus on the head (it is very sensitive as you know, and who doesn’t like a little attention there?).  While I still maintain that the head I chose was very boss, I wanted to spice it up a bit.

Enter the Warhammer 40K Apocalypse command frame:

It is unimportant to discuss why I have like twenty or so of these.  Just know that my IG vehicle collection is bordering on obscene.

On the quest for a good set of hons, I chose this Chaos bit from the sprue, since the Tau parts didn’t exactly have the aesthetic I was looking for.  Some Ork scrap metal command bits would have also been great, but sadly GW forgot to include anything orky on the sprue.

Using my trusty jewelers saw and miter box, last scene in part 1, I removed the horns. All that was left was to smooth them out using some fine ass grit sandpaper. 

After a test fitting and the realization that only green stuff could help me make this work, the horns were glued into place.  Now that’s a face that says ‘I’m an Ogre Bruise, I will break your throat’ if ever I saw one.

Green stuff in place to fill the gaps and we’re good to go.

By now you’re probably wondering when I was planning on making good on my promise to turn your alcoholism into something useful.  Well hold on to your hats (or bottle if you really are an alcoholic), because the time is now.

Back in old timey times, standard bearers didn’t come with flags on their standards.  This was a blessing and a curse.  A blessing in that we didn’t have to deal with the awful flags of today’s kits which would be made of cloth some 8″ thick if they were made to scale.  It was also a curse insofar as we had to search out prime building materials for flags since there was no way in hell any self respecting person would use the- and if you’re not old school, I shit you not, this is what we had- Stickers!  Yeah, nothing could ruin a well painted standard bearer as quickly as putting a sticker on his pole.

Left with tough decisions to make about flag materials, most of us went to our parents to seek out their wine foil.  Wine foil is a marvelous thing.  It’s relatively sturdy, doesn’t wrinkle quite like tin foil, and is flexible enough to get some nice ‘flag waving in the breeze’ effects. 

Today, plastic seems to be the norm for wine tops, but if you search hard enough, you can find some bottlers that still use foil.  Not having time to run to a respectable liquor store, I was stuck with a choice between a sub par bottle of Champagne and a bottle that was simply labeled “Sparkling Wine, Product of Lithuania.”  I of course grabbed the Champagne (which is, of course isn’t a real Champagne, so preemptively shut up annoying wine snobs- plus f- you wine snobs, science is beginning to prove that sommeliers and wine tasting as a whole are essentially bullshit).  I’d have preferred a Prosecco, but sadly had not such choice.  Anyhow, I think I’m bordering on taking this tangent about wine too far, so here’s a picture of the foil I got.

I trimmed up the sides to get something of an appropriate width for my standard.

Then I trimmed up the bottom to make it look old and beat up. Note- I trimmed it up again after a test fitting determined that the flag was obscuring the Bruiser’s face, but no pictures exist of that final edit.

Now it was time to make a place to hang the flag.  I drilled out holes that conveniently already existed in the saddle pieces I used for the standard.

Next I used my hobby knife to put holes in the top of the flag.  An awl would have really been the right tool for the job (with an owl being about as wrong a tool as one could find), but couldn’t find it, so had to make due.

Thin gauge wire was looped through the holes in the standard.

Then the standard was hung from the wire.

After this, I thin dot of glue was applied to the back of the flag to hold it in place against the standard’s shaft.  the wire was then looped around the standard top to create the effect of heavy rope or cord.

Gluing the arm on completed the BSB.

Here’s another shot.

….and another….

…..and here he is joining the unit (also unfinished) that he’s destined to be a part of…..

See you next week with user pics and a few more of my old creations .

Ciao!

You may also like...