[Hauby Lauby] – Sons of Medusa Terminator Squad WIP: Day 8

Part of an ongoing WIP series.  You can find the rest of it under this tag:  Sons of Medusa Terminator WIP

Day 8 – was supposed to be the day I got the last of the green laid down so i could move onto the meat of the models.  In actuality, day 8 was a disaster.

Things started off auspiciously enough with me adding a layer of moot green to the shoulder pads.

So far so good.  The gradient looks great on the shoulders and a few layers of clear green will really tie it all together.

Slowly but surely the wheels come off.

Moot green is sprayed onto the bodies and arms.

I get a little very over zealous on this step and the moot green has taken over as the main color.  Not a huge problem and one that is fairly easy to correct.  A quick spray of some warpstone glow here and there and it’d be all good.  However, this is all in hindsight.  There was no quick fix attempt.

I then move on to the final highlight – moot green + white

to get a nice pastel color for some sparing highlights

Which I promptly go nuts on.

This is the point that I realize I’ve overdone the last two highlights by a huge degree.  I then pray to the cold, unfeeling universe that a few extra layers of clear green will fix the very pastel green models I’ve created.

It’s a mixed bag.

To an extent, the problem is fixed; the models are no longer a weird easter green.  However, they still aren’t all that close to the emerald green I wanted.  Even more, they are a noticeably different shade of green compared to the tanks.  A quick check with future Mrs. Lauby confirms this.

Now, while I may be overstating the ‘disaster’ label a bit, this is still a teachable moment.

What I think I did wrong.  
Most obviously I went waaaay to heavy on the final highlight (green+white) -probably the previous layer as well.  Both in the amount of it I put on the model and the amount of white I mixed in.  I got into that same place you get into when you’re making a sign and misspell a word You’re so focused on one small part of the project you forget about the big picture.

I probably also could have benefited from turning down the pressure on my compressor a bit for the final highlight for better control.  And by probably I mean absolutely.

Lastly, I should have skipped all this color matching nonsense and just used the Tamiya paints.

Lessons yo can learn.
First of all, this project is a perfect example of the pitfalls of complicated painting techniques for doing a whole army.  Simpler is often better.  What I’m doing, for example, has a couple of challenges – namely time intensity and difficulty in replication.  Luckily for me, this is not the start of a whole army – rather a fun way to jump back into my painting mojo.  But if I was doing this for another 1000 points of marines, it’d never get done.

Second, try and learn from your mistakes.  Take an objective look at what you did and why it failed.  This can be easier said than done and I know that I have a huge advantage here since I’m documenting the whole process.  If you can’t figure it out, ask someone else for input.

Don’t be afraid to walk away from a project for a while to clear your head.  Again, easier said than done – I know.  I, for example, have a compulsion to try and fix things RIGHT GODDAMN NOW.  Often making things worse – either for myself (mentally) or the actual model.  But if you can manage it, some time off so you can come back with fresh eyes.  It’ll do wonders as you look for solutions.

Lastly, don’t give up!  Pick your self up and try again – though it is OK to get bummed out.  I’m not even gonna tell you to sweep those emotions under a rug.  Spending a lot of your time working on models you’ve paid good money for involves a lot of investing yourself in the project.

This is another good place to step away from the project for a while. But you do need to try and move forward at some point.  You can try and fix the problem or just resolve yourself to start over.  Unless you somehow caused catastrophic damage to what you’re working on, chances are that you can attempt some kind of fix.

What’s next for Lauby?
I’ve already taken a day off (Sunday).  This got me to a good spot where I could consider my options and un-obsess.  Giving up is out of the question.  I want to move forward.

I can also try and repaint the models, correcting my technique (as mentioned above).  I’m not wild about this, but it should go much easier given that the models are already green.  Thankfully, the airbrushed layers of paint are very thin.   Call this plan b.

My first choice is to attempt to thin down some dark green paint and apply what’s called a filter.  An experiment yielded some very encourage results.  It may not completely correct the green, but it will at least get it closer to where I want it.  It’s also less time intensive.  Maybe an hour (tops) of work.  Rather than the two+ sessions of time a repaint would take.

Looks like we’ll all find out tomorrow.

You may also like...