[Hauby Lauby] – Sons of Medusa Terminator Squad WIP: Day 11

Part of an ongoing WIP series.  You can find the rest of it under this tag:  Sons of Medusa Terminator WIP

Man, it just dawned on me that all this started about two weeks ago.  Man, I move slowly.  But considering I only spend an hour or two a night on this, it’s not too bad.

Anyway, Wednesday night got me back into the stages of this project where progress is much more visible.

Starting with the first bits of weathering the green!

The decals from the day before had dried nicely and with minimal bumpiness, so I started there.  Some Warpstone Glow was sponged on to the decals to make them look chipped and to rally anchor the decals as part of the model.  This picture is just awful at conveying what I did. but here it is anyways because this post needs a pic before the break:

Next it was on to some more general chipping with my old friend, Scorched Brown.

All the green parts got some fairly light chipping.  I’ve found that while the brown sponge technique is great for vehicles, it falls down a bit on smaller models.  I put just enough on to add some visual interest as the chipping is really just part one of four of an overall weathering effect.

The above picture is terrible so, here are some marginally better close ups:

Mna, that gloss finish and my own ineptitude with my iPhone camera are killing me here. Oh, hey!  Look who decided to hang out and complain at me the entire time:

Last stop for the night was the base coat for all the black areas on the models.  Just some places here and there to help make the models visually distinct from each other and to add some interesting contrasts.

For this step I, the black I brushed on was actually a Vallejo Model Air paint.  I find that it has a nice flow to it and goes on well over glossy finishes.  It also goes on thin and with excellent coverage – which you wouldn’t expect out of a paint that’s designed to be put through an airbrush as is.

Hopefully, this cold I’m working on will be a short one and wont effect progress too much. So assuming that I get a nap, the next step is to add some highlights to the black via airbrush and then on to the base coating of the metal bits.

You may also like...