[Hauby Lauby] – Sons of Medusa Terminator Squad WIP: Day 12

Part of an ongoing WIP series.  You can find the rest of it under this tag:  Sons of Medusa Terminator WIP

So it turns out that did catch a bit of a bug.  The main features of which are post nasal drip and a sore throat. However the dealer also threw in ‘interferes with my ability to sleep’ for free because I am a good negotiator.

But I still managed to get some work in.


So, last time I had finished blocking off some of the areas that I wanted to be black.  Now it’s time to give those areas a similar gradient treatment to what the green areas have.  As they are now, the black is very uniform and stark – as a good coat of black paint should be – but those areas don’t jive with the style of the rest of the model.  Time to fix that.

As you can see, I’ve used my fancy Tamiya masking tape to isolate the black areas in preparation for some airbrushing.

Vallejo model air included because I forgot to take a picture of it yesterday

On tonight’s menu are a couple of flat tamiya colors (you can tell because the product number starts with XF) – NATO black (which is actually gray) and deck tan.

After a good layer of the NATO black, I thinned down the deck tan much futher than I normally would and then applied that in a few very thin layers. I just wanted a hint of a gradient – nothing near as drastic as the green.  Especially since the black areas tend to have a lot of details on them.

Once that was dry, I made a wash out of the vallejo black and toned things down as needed.  Success!

For this entire process I went ahead and turned down by air compressor to about 12 psi.  Much lower than I had been using.  it worked absolute wonders for the amount of control I had.  Though I still need a lot of practice using an airbrush to do Angel Giraldez style highlights.  Possible some different equipment as well. But it’s a little early in my learning process to tell whether or not a tool will magically make things work better for me.

You may also like...